Thailand have one hand on the 2020 AFF Suzuki Cup trophy as a brace from Chanathip Songkrasin helped them ease past Indonesia 4-0 in the first leg of the final at Singapore’s National Stadium.

A goal from Chanathip after just 90 seconds, the fastest in the history of the AFF Suzuki Cup Final, put Thailand 1-0 up at the break before he completed his brace seven minutes after the restart.

Further efforts from Supachok Sarachat and Bordin Phala rounded out the win for a Thai side that rotated seven starters from the team that featured in the second leg of the semi-final.

A naturally delighted coach Alexandre Polking said that he knows now the title is Thailand’s to lose.

“We now have a big advantage, of course we shouldn’t make too big a party but we know now that it is in our hands to bring the trophy back to Thailand.

“It was a great performance and I want to praise the players who executed the game plan in an unbelievable way, really it was all down to the hard work of the players.”

It took just ninety seconds for Thailand to strike as Philip Roller rampaged his way past several Indonesian defenders and squared the ball for Chanathip who smashed home a left-footed strike to hand the five-time champions a dream start.

Thailand were dominating things both on and off the ball and it took a superb goal line clearance from Asnawi Mangkualam to prevent the impressive Bordin from doubling the lead in the 13th minute before Teerasil Dangda pushed an effort wide from a good position just shy of the half hour.

They suffered a blow though in the 39th minute as Elias Dolah – himself in for regular Manuel Bihr - was forced off with a leg injury and Indonesia almost took advantage of the resulting defensive reshuffle as Witan Sulaeman raced down the left and cut back for Alfeandra Dewangga who blazed his shot wide of the target when one-on-one with goalkeeper Siwarak Tedsungnoen.

The last action of an absorbing opening half saw a crucial intervention from the impressive Nadeo as he flew to his left to push wide a goal-bound strike from Bordin in stoppage time as Thailand went to the break with a one-goal lead.

Indonesia made three changes at the interval to try and find a way to wrest control of the clash back but it was Thailand that doubled their lead seven minutes after the restart as a slick counter saw Supachok race towards goal, cut back firstly to his left and then his right and lay the ball off for an onrushing Chanathip to side-foot home and make it 2-0.

Just after the hour, Irfan Jaya had a good chance to pull a goal back as he was played through by Ricky Kambuaya only for Siwarak to make a smart save with his foot before Thailand all but killed off the tie as they grabbed the third.

Some slick passing in the build-up ended with Roller squaring a ball from the right for Supachok who propped and curved home his effort from the top of the D to make it 3-0 in the 67th minute.

There was even time for Thailand to make an unexpected goalkeeper substitution as Kawin Thamsatchanan replaced Siwarak with a quarter of an hour remaining before the War Elephants completed the demolition as they won the ball high up the pitch with substitute Worachit Kanitsribampen playing a well weighted pass to Bordin who added a composed finish to round out the 4-0 win in the 83rd minute.

Indonesian coach Shin Tae-young knows that it will take some sort of a miracle now to turn things around for Saturday’s second leg.

“I accept the defeat and I know that it may be impossible to come back and defeat Thailand in the second leg, especially if we play like we did in the second half tonight.

“However, the ball is round, we won’t give up and we’ll keep fighting. I’m not going to focus too much on what went wrong tonight but rather on what we did well to keep encouraging the players.”