Thailand have won a record-extending sixth AFF Suzuki Cup title as a pair of goals early in the second half helped them to a 2-2 draw with Indonesia in the second leg of the final, rounding out a 6-2 aggregate victory.

Trailing 4-0 from the first leg, Ricky Kambuaya gave the Garuda hope with a seventh-minute goal but strikes from Adisak Kraisorn in the 54th minute and Sarach Yooyen two minutes later made the unlikely all but impossible.

A well taken late goal by Egy Maulana completed the scoring but it was heartache once again for an Indonesian side that have now lost a record sixth final.

For Thailand it’s a return to the summit four years after they last lifted the AFF Suzuki Cup trophy, with coach Alexandre Polking hailing the achievement as a ‘special’ one and a base to keep pushing Thai football forward.

“After such a difficult year football is still a great opportunity to make people happy and I hope this is a New Year gift for all people in Thailand after difficult times.

“I’m so happy that we won but also that we won in a special way and I just have to give thanks to everyone from the staff, the officials and especially to the players

“This is a prestigious tournament and we’re so happy that we won it but we don’t want to stop here and then not have a chance in the World Cup qualifiers or Asian Cup qualifiers.

“We showed some brilliant moments of football, defended well when we had to and created the most chances in the tournament so we have to take that belief to the next level now.”

Needing to chase four clear goals it was a dream start for Indonesia as tidy work down the left from Ramai Rumakiek saw Witan Sulaeman hold off a couple of defenders and free up Kambuaya to send a shot off from just outside the top of the box that Siwarak Tedsungnoen let slip through his hands after just seven minutes.

The match was being played at a hectic tempo as Supachok Sarachat grazed the bar with a snap effort from a corner before Nadeo Argawinata had to be alert to push wide a hopeful, but powerfully struck, shot from distance from Thanawat Suengchitthawon in the 20th minute.

Indonesia continued to push forward in search of goals but the closest they came over the remainder of the opening half was a couple of set-piece opportunities that Thailand dealt with fairly effectively as the Garuda went to the break with just one of the four goals that they required.

Nine minutes after the restart it was essentially game over though as some superb work from Chanathip Songkrasin  who won and kept the ball whilst on the ground with two defenders on top of him – saw Bordin Phala collect the ball at the top of the box and fire at Nadeo who could only parry it to substitute Adisak who fired home from just in front of the penalty spot.

Two minutes later and Thailand absolutely killed things off as the impressive Bordin forced another save from Nadeo but once again the loose ball was smashed home, this time by Sarach with a touch off an Indonesian defender, to make it 2-1 in the 56th minute.

Chanathip had a shot blocked from outside the area in the 71st minute but Indonesia refused to give up, as Egy raced onto a through ball from Witan and provided a composed finish from a tight angle with ten minutes remaining to round out the 2-2 draw on the evening.

Although they fell at the final stage once again, coach Shin Tae-yong stressed that he’s confident the future is bright for Indonesian football.

“The lack of experience from our young players was clearly displayed in the first leg of the final but I think we fought well tonight and we will make sure to learn from these mistakes in the tournaments to come.

“If we can learn from this experience then we won’t be dark horses but real contenders in future tournaments and that is the way that we will make sure to approach things.”